Accdg. to a certain website, this was my pastlife...think about this, "Life may not be the party we hoped for. But while we're here, we might as well dance." So, shall we?
Unstable Dancer
Layout by goldi
Saturday, April 30, 2005

On Putting Up Oneself

That was a dream... then.

I do not know what to call myself now. A young urban professional also known as a yuppie? I think I'm not even cool enough to be branded as such. I mean, I don't hangout in posh clubs, coffee houses and all those places which would make one look like an oh-so-rich-heir-to-the-thrown kid. Ok. I'm bad. That's my usual image of a yuppie.

As one of my friends, by the name of Zig who has been out of this job over a month ago, said that we could be mistaken as a messenger of a certain company because we do not go to work in corporate attire. In short, wear what is comfortable. Wear yourself.

It's been, hmm let me see, a year, four months and fifteen days of talking to whites and making them feel ok with my monotonous voice and emphaticless words. It was never easy. It is never easy. Well, as some would think that my account is easy and no challenge at all. So be it.

Anyway, roaming here in Makati is fun. Oh, I've been a frequent briskwalker of Ayala Ave since the day I started working here. But honestly, I've never been to any place in Makati but Ayala. It's lovely especially during the holidays. Ok. Where were we?

Hmm, Makati... the answer to most of the newly graduates' dreams... the place to fulfill one's dream/s... the future.

Is it?

Arguably, the best place to work at. Tall buildings; clean streets; malls, bars and cafes for leisure and fun. Maybe not the whole of Makati, still it's employee friendly. We have cabs, buses and of course, jeepneys criss crossing the streets. Plus those who have their own ride. Lucky them because parking is free, not at daytime, but at night.

I never really envisioned myeslf to be here working and meeting new friends. Seriously. I thought I would just be spending my time in the province. Just to add, I am already living in a city but it's still way far compared to the cities in the metro.

My first job was in the province. It lasted for more than five months. I enjoyed it. Actually, it's the people whom I learnt to appreaciate more than the job. My second was here already. And I must say that I am enjoying the time more and loving it. You know, when someone is working here, they look at their best almost everyday, good posture, the feel of being a certified professional. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But that's how I look at it as of the moment.

Daring the challenge would be easy to say. I am already dealing with my future here. To think that each year, I get older and all I have is more hours spent at work than with someone else. I'm not ranting. I'm just pointing out how I make my move to build my preferred career. It's like being on top of a mountain and enjoying the view. But later would still think about what's going to happen now and then. It's like being proud for not quitting but instead taking the risk to follow what I really want. It's being in a pedestal and living that moment. But I guess, a little dose of maturity would be very helpful.

I made this entry with two purposes in mind. One is to celebrate the May 1 - Labor Day holiday. I am more of a worker now than a dependent young man asking for money from my mom like before. I take charge of the grocery and the bills. Man, it's never easy. I complain before and even up to now. But I just think that I would be doing this for the rest of my life especially when I already have my own family. This is how it feels to be the head of the family, I tell myself. To the one who are trying their very best to make both ends meet, supporting their families, sawllowing their pride for the sake of their loved ones, doing legal and illegal things to fill in their pockets... Cheers!

Secondly, the more important reason in posting this is to make the new graduates realize how dreams could transpire. Dreams are real. Dreams are hopes. Dreams are inspirations. We all know it takes some time to land in a our dream job. But I'm sure every waiting is worth it. We all look stupid and clueless while looking for this building to pass our resume and have our interview. But that's part of the thrill. That makes the adventure colorful and unforgetable. So, welcome to the "yuppies' world."

Before I go, here's a picture I took using my phone during my second day of training for a new sales account from December last year. It was already morning then since the training was scheduled from 10 pm to 6 am. This was Ayala Avenue one Saturday morning.



makati_view


Taken from the 33rd floor of a certain building overlooking the said street. And officially today, I'm going to name this picture, "Soar".

Once again, Advanced Happy Labor Day to all those who maximize their potential to be of help to this country.


posted by Arn everybody's gone kung fu fightin at 8:04 AM