Accdg. to a certain website, this was my pastlife...think about this, "Life may not be the party we hoped for. But while we're here, we might as well dance." So, shall we?
Unstable Dancer
Layout by goldi
Monday, October 02, 2006

Sway
3:39pm
09.29.06 Fri


Aftermath makes one realize the damages left by yesterday's catastrophe.

No matter how great the next day will be, a person must be ready to swallow what will greet him come next morning as he tries to pick every piece left, literally and figuratively.

I was in the office yesterday when typhoon Milenyo hit the metro. I heard it over the news that after 11 years, a typhoon will hit Manila again. From experience living in Manila, the city is never ready even for a heavy downpour alone.

There was power interruption yesterday before a total blackout which still affects some areas as of this writing. We were even answering calls without the use of computers for customer information. The building was dancing with the strong wind. We thought there was an earthquake. A teamamte even thought it was a vertigo attack. Many were stranded. Worse, homeless. I know there will be accidents - property-ruining and/or life-threatening. And I was never wrong.

Last night was blinding. yes, it was dark since there was no electricity in most parts of the land. It felt like I was leaving the office at 12MN. Less people in the office. Pit black outside. Minimal vehicles. Tired people. Then, almost every each of what's outside was wet. I hardly noticed the damages until lights from trucks of some organizations started to pull things out of danger. EDSA was lonelier than a Sunday evening.

I was able to go home safe. The ever reliable 24-hr taxi ride was there. After a few minutes of waiting, I was bound home. I never slept inside the van. I was looking outside the window and praying that everything's okay back home. When it is really raining hard, flood water starts to sink in our house.

There was no light in our house. There should be once from a candle somewhere but there was none. I found my mom sleeping. After I woke her up, she prepared our dinner. Rice was already cooked. She just opened a can of corned beef. She didn't cook it anymore. It reminded me of my first road trip to Quezon where me and friends arrived in her grandma's resort past 10pm. We consumed anything that was ready available in stock. And there was the corned beef which I enjoyed the most. Anyway, I cleaned myself after eating before retiring to bed. I was about to sleep in my sister's bedroom when the real light kicked in. Blackout was already over. My sleepiness was gone after watching TV for a couple of hours.

Then, the next work day came - today.

Threading EDSA this morning exposed me to alot of realizations. Wrathed billboards; fallen trees and posts; blackout; sweaty passengers waiting for a ride under the hot sun: seems like nothing happened yesterday, now these people are headed for work; smashed office windows and more. A person can never let a blow crash him to the bones. The more one procrastinates, the lesser productive life becomes.

MRT was still non-operational. In God's good hands again, I was saved from being late from work. The bus I took this morning was headed to Pasay. Ayala is on the way. This bus is not the usual one that I take. Thanks to Royal Eagle Bus Co. Baliwag Transit only ends in Cubao. Many passengers were in the street waiting for a ride. I just advised the bus conductor to drop me off SM Makati. Though the bus will take another route, he agreed to stop at Buendia. From there, I walked to the office.

I was careful walking along EDSA. The remains of yesterday's typhoon are still evident. I was watching for electrical wires and thorned branches. Around me was a mess. And the people whose job is to make the city clean are now in big trouble.

Stir a little drama, anyone who slams down needs to get up fast. Be strong fast. And take on the wheel fast. Looking at the people restoring the damages made me smile. It's not that they are just doing their job. It is more than that. It made me realize more that at one point of our life, we need help.




OT: It was my first time to try a smoothie from Fruitas. I picked banana shake. It was good. I am craving for a Coke float, though.


posted by Arn everybody's gone kung fu fightin at 1:52 PM